Convictions

Gotta stop ignoring that Voice in my head.

Cape (here; & this one for the low lol) // Shorts (here) // Shoes (here; options here and here ($10 say what?)) // Sunnies (here)

Fringe is big this season, ONCE AGAIN, and I’m loving it. If you follow me on Instagram (as you should), then you would’ve seen my comparison to these shoes. The JustFab Boutique pair are half the price of my Zara pair. Who knew? Now you do!

But I didn’t come to talk about clothes today. I want to discuss convictions.

Yesterday’s post unsurprisingly received so much feedback; it was even reposted on so many  Instagram pages. And while I’m extremely grateful for the love and support, I cannot ignore the very reason why it received such feedback.

I mean, let’s face it. What is so spectacular about the dress? Was it the color? The length? The zippers that you can barely see?

Nah.

It was the fact that it highlighted every curve on my body.  E V E R Y S I N G L E O N E. I mean the dress was so dang tight, you could see the imprint of my waist beads (which culturally, by the way, should be equally as disguised as  your underwear. )

So back to this dress.

I tried it on at H&M before purchasing. And in the fitting room I was immediately convicted by the Holy Spirit. “Christina, you have no business wearing this dress.”

“Why God? All the Instagram models who are way more curvier than me wear way tighter dresses?”

I even went on to mention to my sister Jackie, who was in H&M with me, that I felt the dress was too tight and couldn’t think of a place other than the club  I could wear it to (those days are long gone). But I ignored that conviction…as well as the one right before clicking “publish” on WordPress ; or “Share” on Instagram/FB/Twitter (shameless plug; follow me lol).

So what does this all mean?

Does it mean every woman who wears tight dresses & reveal their curves sinning? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Some woman are so dang curvy even the baggiest sweatpants couldn’t hide their blessings.

What I mean is that every believer has convictions that should NEVER be ignored.

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba Father. [Galatians 4:6 ]

Yes- Every believer has their OWN personal convictions. And I truly believe that God gives us each different portions of Grace (see Ephesians 4:7). We can’t ignore this still Voice in our head. Its God advising us, encouraging us, and rebuking us! After so much ignoring, He speaks less and less. And at some point, we might find ourselves in the darkness!

Now will I delete the post? Nope haha. But I will sell the dress on poshmark or donate the dress to my much slimmer godsister. (Not you Desiree, you got hips girl! Caresse can have it 🙂 )

Scriptures to meditate on:

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. [Galatians 5:16]

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. [Romans 12:1]

Hope you were encouraged by this post. Would love to know your thoughts… Considering you read it.

As always… I hope God blesses you!

5 Element Photography

18 Comments

1. May 27, 2015 / 10:16 am

Don’t hurt ’em!!!
    At least give them a fighting chance boo, damn!
    😀

2. May 27, 2015 / 1:54 pm

I read it! And girrrrrrrrl, you were right! You’re preaching hahaha. I told you I have this dress, too but I didn’t tell you why I haven’t worn it yet! I didn’t know if it was too tight. I first saw that dress in H&M and was drawn to the color. I didn’t bother trying it on because I saw the fabric and knew it would hug every inch of my body. I left the store. For WEEKS, I kept thinking of that dress. I finally went back to H&M one day and it was STILL there and the last one was in MY size! I was like, “Ummm, meant to be or nah?” Haha that time I tried it on and I loved how it looked on me. I bought the dress because I felt, “Hey, there are girls that show off their body all the time. I NEVER do.”

I have yet to wear it. Partly because I’m trying to lose the 10 pounds I told you about lol. But also because I’m trying to find a more modest way to wear it. It’s funny, I’m always so conscious about not showing my body because of how I was raised and I KNOW I shouldn’t buy something if my mom wouldn’t want me to wear it. (I’m going to try the dress on for her and see what she thinks! lol) We should automatically listen to the Spirit when we hear Him.

Your transparency is beautiful.

3. Ada_ugo
    May 28, 2015 / 2:16 am

Hi Christina,
    First, I’ve gotta say thank you for directing me to your youtube page on how you get your TWA done. I got some helpful tips I’m looking forward to trying once I get these braids out!
    With regards to that dress, here’s my opinion: I don’t think it got so many responses because it was tight. YOU FEEL it got that many responses because you have a conscience that did not heed to what the Holy Spirit was telling you, and so you’re getting convicted. pure and simple.
    Like you said, what others think is OK, and may be OK for them may not be OK for you. So people may not necessarily have liked it only because it was tight, but your conviction is letting you know that something about it was not right.
    I hope I’m making sense… lol
    Something similar happened to me a few months ago. I went shopping with my mum (who is conservative, by the way), and tried on this matching pair of a cropped top and skirt made of stretchy material. Now I only wanted to try it out of curiosity, and to probably get a good laugh. But my mum saw it, and loved, as in LOVED it. I was quite perplexed. The more I looked at it, the more I started to see it was kind of cute. So I bought it. I got back home, but my spirit was not at ease. I would try it on and think OK, it’s bodycon, it’s showing my mid-riff AND it’s off-the-shoulder – really doesn’t leave much left to the imagination. At some stage I just decided this is not who I am. Even though it looks OK by society’s standard, and I even got the thumbs up from Mum, this does not portray my person. I promptly wrapped it back in the bag and took it back.
    Thanks for sharing this with us, and may we continue to hear and heed the His Voice.

• May 28, 2015 / 5:17 am

Thank you for taking the time out to respond Ada! I really appreciate you!

4. May 28, 2015 / 9:30 pm

When I think about spring/summer looks, I think subtle and light which ends up meaning plain and simple for most. What I love about what you’re doing here is how you keep the animation of your signature style considering the odds of the weather. Love the fringe on you! You make it work.

Igee Okafor
    Style Enthusiast/Blogger

5. May 31, 2015 / 11:24 am

I normally don’t like bodycons but that dress rocks on you! And I know you didn’t work wear it with evil intentions but I love ur post. This outfit is also on fire, damb!!

6. June 7, 2015 / 4:39 am

I have similar experiences. I am SO curvy I find myself asking well God should I wear a trash bag? Lol even my church clothes which is very very modest people are commenting about my behind with no shame. I have been convicted about some of my poses and I have tried my best to adjust. But you’re right God gives each of us personal convictions and we must not ignore them.

• June 15, 2015 / 8:04 am

Nikki, yes I see you are very curvy, and you know what- embrace it!!! You can’t hide your curves in the baggiest sweatpants lol…but that’s okay. Thats what makes you beautiful and unique. As mentioned above, people have different convictions. Let us continue to be obedient to the Holy Spirit! I’m praying about something this week so I’ll be disconnecting from social media but the following week lets get on a prayer line and invite all women to pray on modesty! Love you sis.

• June 15, 2015 / 9:31 am

Of course sis! Will be standing in agreement with you in prayer on this week and we’ll connect next week! Love u too

7. August 12, 2015 / 1:13 pm

I love your post/page and specifically the message behind it. God has been consistently dealing with me win Not Compromising my Convictions…in things as simple as dress or as weighty as life altering decisions.
    Be blessed my sister DRESSED and full of success!

• August 12, 2015 / 1:20 pm

Thank you sis! We’re all works in progress. Thank you so much for reading. Just skimmed through your blog at work and I’m so excited to dive in later. God bless you!