Testimony Tuesday: A Father to the Fatherless

My earthly father is gone, but my Heavenly Father still remains.

Edward Gebel Photography

WHAT I’M WEARING:

Dress: Zara ($7) – sold out (try this one ) ; Shirt: c/o SheInside (get it here ) ; Shoes: Joe Fresh – sold out (these are way more comfortable + def. wardrobe staple)

Yesterday I cried. I cried a lot. And my cries are usually ugly.

My beloved daddy traveled out of the country after 21 years. 21 years. He hasn’t left the country in 21 years! For those of you who know me personally, you know how close I am with my parents. But my daddy in particular holds a special place in my heart. He is the sweetest 70 year old you’ll ever meet- the type to get out of a closing elevator just to open the building door for you. The type to drive you to the airport at 3am simply because you’re his neighbor and you need a ride. The type to smile and ask how you’re family is doing even when you don’t feel like speaking.

People generally say good things about their parents so I won’t bore you too much. But if you’ve ever had an encounter with my father, you cannot possibly say anything bad about him. That is just the way it goes. So yesterday night I cried. The thought of not seeing him for the next 5 weeks overwhelmed me with emotions. Then, I thought about the day I’d have to release him forever to Jesus. Because listen, if I’m this emotional now, how will I even cope in 73 years when he dies (I told Jesus he’s not allowed to die before me- and I plan to live until I am 100 so you do the math.) I admire those who have lost parents and have been able to cope everyday. It speaks volumes of their strength….or the Strength that is within them.

And although I can never be completely prepared for the day I lose my father, I am encouraged and assured that there is One who will always be a Father to the fatherless. In Matthew 23:9, Jesus tells His disciples And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Jesus was warning them that in recognizing others as fathers, they should not disregard their Father in Heaven- which is the Father of all fathers.

Good fathers on earth are gifts from God. It isn’t everyone that receives the blessing of a great father and/or father figure. Some people never grow up with their dads. Some have witnessed and/or have been abused by their fathers. Some never experience a father’s love. But no matter the case, I want you to be encouraged knowing that there is a Father that loves you and only wants to bless you. Earthly fathers may leave us, but our Heavenly Father will never leave nor forsake us. Earthly fathers may abuse us; but our Heavenly Father heals us from all wounds of abuse. He loves us in ways that are impossible for our earthly fathers to love us. He protects us in ways that our fathers on earth cannot protect us. Our Heavenly Father doesn’t take vacations. Our Heavenly doesn’t sleep or slumber. He doesn’t die. He will never go to jail. And He will never break our hearts; rather He puts the broken pieces of our hearts back together.

So should you be experiencing a void in your life that you think an earthly father can fill, I’m here to ensure you that it isn’t possible. Just try our Heavenly Father, and I can ensure you’ll be rid of that void forever.

12 Comments

1. Willer
    March 21, 2017 / 10:00 am

Thank you. I lost my father 3/1/17. I needed this.

• justmissedtherunway
      March 21, 2017 / 11:06 am

I’m so sorry Willer! Have you heard of the song “Good Good Father” by Chris Tomlin? I hope it blesses you this morning!

May our good Father be your strength!

2. March 21, 2017 / 10:48 am

Beautiful words Chris, such a daddy’s girl, both dads that is. Lol

• justmissedtherunway
      March 21, 2017 / 10:49 am

Thank you Petros! I’m so blessed to have been surrounded by so many Fathers. But especially our ultimate Father

3. March 21, 2017 / 2:58 pm

Awesome post! I was one of those that didn’t grow up close to my biological father, but I had a man in my life for 28 years that took over that role, my Godfather. Jesus took him to heaven in 2009 but as you spoke on your Father’s character I thought about him because he was the same type of man. We may not have been connected by blood but we were by God’s Spirit. God knew what I needed in my life, what void needed to be filled and he did that before I could even remember. I miss him so much, but to know that he was a great man of God and he asked multiple times before he died for God to take him eases my mind to know that he is in a better place.

• justmissedtherunway
      March 21, 2017 / 3:44 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing Melanie! I believe your father has gone to be with the Lord! That alone should be comforting!

4. Cynthia
    March 21, 2017 / 6:17 pm

My father passed away when I was five. That left my mom widowed at the age of 34 with eight (8) children. Long story short…my family has absolutely lived this verse in every sense of the word: “father to the fatherless, husband to the widow.” By God’s grace, we all grew up to become successful adults: doctor, accountant, journalist, teacher, entrepreneur, designer, adoption social worker, government official. God is true to his Word!

• justmissedtherunway
      March 21, 2017 / 7:53 pm

Wow! Thank you for sharing this testimony Cynthia! Your mother deserves an award in heaven and on earth.

5. March 22, 2017 / 4:05 am

Aw this entire post made me cry! When my father passed, I didn’t realize that God was still my father but he definitely had my back over the years like a father. Thank you for this post!

Nik – OhThatsNik.com

• justmissedtherunway
      March 22, 2017 / 6:19 am

Awww Nik! Please stop crying! You have a Father who gives you beauty for your ashes (Isaiah 61:3) … thanks so much for sharing your testimony. God bless you ❤️

6. March 24, 2017 / 4:41 am

I’m thankful to have a awesome father her on earth who emulates the virtues of our heavenly father and I don’ t take that for granted because I know not everyone is blessed like that. This post is a good reminder, our heavely father is always there and here for us. Now as the the outfit your layering and mix of print is genius, I initally thought, this was a one peice.

Princess Audu